Yes, photography is the usual, reliable method we use to capture our best moments and memories, in order to savor them for all time. What if there was an additional, more unique way in which you could save your wedding day bliss? What if there was a way you could keep this bliss secret and sealed until a special anniversary, when you and your husband could unleash it upon yourselves and reminisce together? There is a way, with a wedding ceremony time capsule box!
First, you'll want to determine what kind of marriage time capsule you're going to have. Is it going to be filled with things that you and your fiance will hand pick and put in together during a romantic ritual? Do you want to have your guests fill it with specified items during the reception? Or, do you want it to be a combination of both? Really, the question is whether you want to be surprised on that future date.
[photo credit: Love Me Do Photography]
Things to Put Inside:
- Stuff from the ceremony and reception like an invitation, the program, etc.
- A copy of your wedding vows.
- Sealed letters to each other about your love and excitement, etc.
- A CD or flash drive of songs from the reception or songs that are popular on the radio at that time (this will be especially interesting if you are picking a date that is far in the future.)
- A bottle of wine to celebrate with when you open the box.
- A copy of a publication (newspaper, topical magazine, etc) from the date you are sealing the capsule on.
Things For Guests to Put Inside:
- Memories or Anecdotes from when they first spent time with you as a couple, or how and when they knew you were perfect for each other, etc
- Have them fill out postcards or something similar with advice and wisdom that they think will help you either 1 year, 5 years, 10 years from now.
- Provide them with a digital camera (does not have to be expensive, as long as it takes decent pictures and can connect to a computer via USB) to take goofy pictures with during the reception. This will provide you with your entertainment when going through the capsule.
[photo credit: Red Gallery Photo]
For your wedding ceremony time capsule box, you should choose something that is big enough to house a bottle of wine, if you are including one. If you have chosen to forgo the wine and are putting mostly paper items into your capsule, you can go with a decorative glass bottle. This will give a sophisticated, future-message-in-a-bottle feel to your capsule. Just make sure the bottle is padded by something and safe from breakage. If you need more room, then try a larger, wooden chest-type box. You can find one with a clasp and lock, or nail it shut together when the time is right.
[wedding capsule from Etsy seller TheCarpentersD]
If one or both of you aren't very good at being patient or have an insatiable curiosity, then it is very important that you give your marriage time capsule over to a loved one for safe keeping. We would recommend a family member, or an extremely close friend. Just make sure it's someone you know will be in your life on the chosen future date and someone who is responsible enough to keep it safe and not look inside!