Kids are cuckoo. That’s just a fact. Some people choose to have a kid-free wedding, and with the wiled coyote antics of those little bundles of energy, it’s easy to sympathize. We invite you to consider the alternative of inviting those balls of sunshine to bask in your wedding bliss glow, and crank that reception into high gear.
Here are 10 Reasons to Have a Kid Friendly Wedding:
From simple, naked rustic cakes adorned with berries, to super-frosted and snowflake covered towers of white snow, this winter season we’ve seen some of the most elegant and unique cakes. Below, we have compiled a list of some of our favorite 10 wedding cakes that give us the winter feels. We hope it inspires you to choose a delicious and stylish cake, not to reach for the sweets!
1. This luscious, 6-tier naked cake that’s layered with thick cream and uncut berries reminds us of our childhood homes getting snowed in for the holidays.
[Cake: Chawna Dil of Sweet Marie’s; Photo: Dana Grant Photography]
2. This bold beauty reminds us of a Christmas tree with its nature-inspired etchings, gold dustings, and topping of a giant cherry nestled in some winter greenery.
[cake: The Sugar Lab; Photo: Arina Borodina]
3. This white wonder, wrapped in lace and dolloped with flowers and greenery transports us to a divine winter wonderland.
[Cake: Création Boule Argent; Photo: Genevieve Albert]
4. This quaint tower of cuteness that is designed like growth rings on a tree, and topped with baby owls makes us feel like a whimsical woodland creature gathering around a large wooden tree trunk for winter dinner.
5. This 2-tier concoction that is roughly frosted, topped with three small pinecones, and lightly dusted with “snow” reminds us how special simple holidays can be.
[Photo: Little White Dress]
6. This red velvet fortress, layered with sweet cream and sprinkled with candy canes makes us feel the tingly warmth that peppermint brings with the holiday season.
[Photo: Kate Botwinski Photography]
7. This assortment of barely-frosted towers, surrounded by wreaths, trees, and set on an antique sled, makes us long for Christmas in the woods.
[Photo: Jacque Lynn Photography]
8. This exquisite sculpture that’s decorated with holly berries, pine cones, and other fine winter elements, tricks us into thinking we are a wondrous snow queen, receiving a magnificent royal gift of sugar.
[Cake: Once Upon a Cake Co.; Photo: Amber Lynn Photography]
9. This richly-pigmented masterpiece is adorned with bits of snow, winter greenery, and silver-encrusted twigs in order to give us a starkly-modern, dramatic Yuletide sensation.
10. This snowy-white tower with an argyle pattern etched into the sides and strategically-placed silver snowflakes, makes us feel like Elsa, in her tower made of ice, letting it all go…including our wedding diet.
[Photo via: The Couture Cakery]
Planning on a winter wedding? Tell us about your cake in the comment section.
Selecting your bridesmaid dresses is one of the most stressful endeavors you’ll undertake as a bride-to-be. You want your lovely ladies to be comfortable, stylish, AND complement the wedding theme. You also want to make sure that the style or styles will be flattering to all the different shapes and sizes in your bridal party. We’ve compiled a list of our 10 favorite bridesmaids dresses at the moment. We hope it helps you get inspired:
1. This bohemian ensemble, complete with a patterned maid of honor frock, and flanked by sea-green bridesmaids.
[dresses: Katie May; photo: Our Love is Loud]
2. This gorgeous, crepe-material “White by Vera Wang” gown that features a long V neck and an open back. It also comes in a stunning “VW Champagne” color that is strikingly close to Pantone Color of the Year: Rose Quartz.
[found on David’s Bridal]
3. Another vision in Rose Quartz, this “White by Vera Wang” Sleeveless Tulle over Lace Dress is an exercise in elegance.
[found on David’s Bridal]
4. These convertible, chiffon dresses by Jenny Woo that mixes light and dark purples shows that you don’t have to sacrifice elegance to have a lovely Boho wedding:
[dresses: Jenny Woo; photo: This Modern Romance]
5. This brilliant idea of a sequined crop top paired with a chiffon maxi skirt.
[found on Ok Bridal]
6. This rose quartz wavy cropped dress by Vera Wang gets our vote for most unique bridesmaid dress of the year:
[from David’s Bridal]
7. These elegant beauties who are pulling off the mismatched dress trend like it ain’t no thing:
[photo: Love Like Weddings]
8. These dusty blue mismatched bridesmaids dresses compliment the pretty pop of white in the bridal bouquets:
[photo: Marissa Lambert Photography]
9. These nude dresses that make good use of the pattern craze, with the added bonus of metallic sequins:
[photo: Our Labor of Love]
10. These blush-pink, open-back dresses that gleam and sparkle bright like diamonds:
[photo: Archetype Studio]
What are some of your favorite bridesmaid dresses right now? Tell us about it in the comment section below
In modern society, it is a given that the guy is supposed to surprise the gal. Popping the big question at your favorite restaurant, throwing that surprise 30th-birthday party, showing up at your door with flowers and a chick flick when you’ve had a bad day, etc. Why not take the opportunity to turn the tables and surprise HIM on your big day? Show him that you too, are skilled in the art of the unexpected and shower him with a secret attack of sentiment. Here are 10 charming ways to surprise your groom:
1. Geek Garter
Surprise your sweetheart with a pop culture garter that is specific to his geeky passions like his favorite superhero, video game, tv show, or sports team.
[photo: Something Blue Wedding Photography]
2. Love Letter
Tell him how much he means and how excited you are by crafting a quick, from-the-heart love note. Hide it in his dopp kit, or be extra cute and give it to the flower girl or the ring bearer to give to him when they reach the alter.
[photo: dnk Photography]
3. Message on a Fingernail
We love this clever, sneak attack of putting a tiny message on the polish of your ring finger. When he grabs your left hand and pulls it towards him, watch both his and your eyes well up.
[photo: Freshly Wed]
4. Lego Links
Everything is awesome indeed! Before the wedding, stash a pair of Lego cufflinks among his belongings. Or better yet, give them to his best man so he can help apply them.
[credit: Michelle Prunty Photography via WeddingsOnline.ie]
5. Tender Tie
If you are a crafty cat, you can try sewing or embroidering a secret tender message of love on the underside of his tie. He’ll find this as he’s getting dressed, and it’s 100% guaranteed to melt his heart.
[Janae Shields Photography]
6. Groom Gear
We’ve all heard about wedding survival kits, but those mostly include items for the bride. Why not assemble a groom kit, complete with everything your guy’s gonna need like socks, mints, and maybe a wee bit of alcohol for nerves.
7. Sentimental Sway
Put together a kick-ass dance routine with your bridesmaids to show him how you move. Dance to some Uptown Funk, Single Ladies, or even a mash-up of some classic dance hits.
[photo: Craig Warga Photography]
8. Emotional Engraving
Get his wedding band engraved on the down low. Write your own inscription, because it will be more special that way. Keep it short, simple, and from the heart.
[photo: Susan Stripling]
9. Double Take Cake
We are willing to bet that your man is a Star Wars junkie, and that it’s probably at a fever pitch lately with the release of the new film. Have your baker hide a Star Wars design in the back of the cake, and watch his eyes gleam like lightsabers!
Nothing delightfully surprises a newly-wed groom more than a little something special on your wedding night. Wow him with some new lingerie that you think he would love and spoil yourself at the same time.
[photo: Claire Pettibone lingerie]
How are you planning on surprising YOUR groom? Tell us about it in the comment section below.